According to an announcement in the May 17, 2017 edition of the Boletín del Estado de Castilla y León, Spain has approved a new Denominación de Origen—the DO Cebreros. The new DO is welcomed to the world with the final approval of the Propuesta de Pliego de Condiciones de la D.O.P. “Cebreros” first proposed in November of 2015.
The new DO will be the tenth for the autonomous community of Castilla y León—which currently contains the well-known DOs of Ribera del Duero, Rueda, and Bierzo, among others. The newly-promoted area of Cebreros has been producing wine under a regional Vino de la Tierra (Protected Geographical Indication/PGI) since 1989. The DO Cebreros is located entirely within the province of Ávila. The area is known for its granite soils and warm Mediterranean climate, and the area’s vineyards are classified as Climate Regions II and III according to the Winkler Climate Index.
The newly-minted DO Cebreros is approved for dry wines in red, white, and rosé. The specifics are as follows:
- Tinto (red wines) must be a minimum of 95% Garnacha Tinta, with the remaining 5% allowed to be Garnacha Tintorera and/or Tempranillo (or the wine may be 100%% Garnacha Tinta), with a minimum of 13% abv.
- Rosado (rosé) wines) must be a minimum of 95% Garnacha Tinta, with the remaining 5% allowed to be Garnacha Tintorera and/or Tempranillo (or the wine may be 100%% Garnacha Tinta), with a minimum of 12% abv.
- Blanco (white wines) must be 100% Albillo Real, with a minimum of 12% abv.
There are no oak aging requirements for any DO Cebreros wines, although oak aging is allowed and often used.
More information (and a map) of the newly-minted DO will be announced as it becomes available, and as it moves through the process of EU approvals. But for now, we would like to say “Welcome to the world, DO Cebreros!”
References/for more information:
- Boletin Oficial del Estado May 17 2017 – DO Cebreros
- Propuesta de Pliego de Condiciones de la DOP Cebreros
The Vinos de Cebreros logo was designed by Alfonso Giménez Ventura.
Post authored by Jane A. Nickles, CSE, CWE – your blog administrator
Are you interested in being a guest blogger or a guest SWEbinar presenter for SWE? Click here for more information!