Certification Summits are special “long-version” webinars directed at SWE members who are studying for one of the certifications offered by SWE. In the near future, we’ll be offering sessions designed for those studying for the CSW, CSS, CWE, and CSE (although all members of SWE are welcome to attend any summit).
The purpose of SWE Summits are to take topics from the Study Guides and/or the recommended readings lists, and bring them front and center – if only for a day! Certification summits will focus on the smaller regions, or lesser-known topics in the wine and spirits world – in other words, we are more likely to feature the wines of Campania than the wines of Chianti.
Certification Summits are intended to feel like “mini-conferences” and are scheduled to be 2-to-3 hour-long webinars with multiple presenters; they are typically offered on Saturday mornings and are offered free-of-charge to members of SWE. Please note – unlike our other webinar offerings – Certification Summits do require a reservation and an SWE membership, and space is limited!
Our next certification summit is scheduled for June 3rd 2017, at 10:00 am central time. The topic will be From Ausbruch to Zweigelt: the Wines and Spirits of Austria.
The agenda is as follows:
- Austria: Geography and Terroir
- Wine Laws of Austria
- Grüner Veltliner taste-along
- (5 minute break)
- The Wines of Wachau
- PDO Apricots and PGI Brandy
- All that Sparkles: Austrian Sekt
- Zweigelt taste-along
- (5 minute break)
- The Kamptal, Kremstal, and Traisental DACs
- Neusiedlersee DAC
- Ruster Ausbruch
If you would like the join in the taste-along, we will be using the following two wines:
- E & M Berger Grüner Veltliner, Lower Austria, 2015 (if this wine is unavailable in your area, you may substitute any dry Grüner Veltliner from Austria, preferably from Lower Austria [Niederösterreich], from the 2015 vintage).
- E & M Berger zweigelt, Lower Austria, 2014 (if this wine is unavailable in your area, you may substitute any dry Zweigelt from Austria, preferably from Lower Austria [Niederösterreich], from the 2014 vintage).
We are currently taking reservations for the Austria summit – email Jane Nickles at firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve a spot!