Update—November 22, 2017: Of the 12 estates originally listed, only 9 passed the final quality control process and will be producing Cava de Paraja Calificado this year. The 9 estates are: Argicola Casa Sala, Alta Alella, Cordoníu, Gramona, Juvé Y Camps, Recardo, Sabaté i Coca, Torelló, and Vins el Cep.
Last week, on July 13, 2017, Isabel García Tejerina —the Spanish Minister of Agriculture, Fishing, Food and the Environment—announced the first 12 zones to have earned the designation of Cava de Paraje Calificado (Qualified Estate [Zone] of Cava).
The first 12 designated zones and the anticipated wines are as follows. It is a bit confusing as the name of the zone is sometimes/sometimes not the same as the proposed name of the wine, but we’ve tried to make it clear. In any case, the name of the zone is listed first (and highlighted in bold), followed by the name(s) of the wines, and then the producer. Links are provided for all the producers.
- Torelló Zone, the name of the wines are Gran Torelló and 225—produced by Can Martí de Baix
- Turó d’en Mota Zone, the name of the wine is Turó d’en Mota—produced by Recardo
- Serrall del Vell Zone, the name of the wine is Serral del Vell— produced by Recardo
- Vallcierera Zone, the name of the wine is Mirgin—produced by Alta Alella
- La Capella Zone, the name of the wine is La Capella—produced by Juvé & Camps
- Can Sala Zone, the name of the wine is Casa Sala—produced by Agrícola Casa Sala/Freixenet
- La Pleta Zone, the name of the wine is La Pleta—produced by Codorníu
- El Tros Nou Zone, the name of the wine is El Tros Nou—produced Codorníu
- La Fideuera Zone, the name of the wine is La Fideuera—produced by Codorníu
- Claror Zone, the name of the wine is Can Prats—produced by Vins el Cep
- Font de Jui Zone, the name of the wines are Enoteca, Cellar Batlle, and Ill Lustros—produced by Gramona
- Terroja Zone, the name of the wine is Sabaté i Coca Reserva Familiar—produced by Sabaté i Coca/Castellroig
The newly-designated wines are scheduled to hit the market towards the end of 2017; it seems the last step in the process is the design and approval of new labels to designate the Cavas de Paraje Calificado status of the wines.
The application process for Cavas de Paraje Calificado is still open, and more estates may be designated in the near future.
References/for more information: